![]() |
| Extra snuggles with Dad when he's not feeling well. |
Wednesday, November 2, 2011
Our first visit to the ER
Sofia and Everett both had minor colds starting on Friday but were doing a lot better Sunday morning. On Sunday morning Sully woke up with cold symptoms. By bedtime he was really struggling. He woke up two hours after we put him to bed screaming and having a really hard time breathing. Tim and I kept him upright to ease his breathing and called our pediatrician. I don't want to be the mom that overreacts to things but Sullivan's breathing was getting worse and worse. After observing Sullivan for another 30 minutes and talking to the triage nurse Tim and I agreed that we wanted to bring Sullivan in to the hospital. He's still so young and had breathing issues when he was born and the rate at which he went from ok to bad really scared us. So around 11:30pm I packed up the diaper bag and Sullivan and took him to the ER in Grafton. Tim stayed home with Ev & Sofia who were fast asleep. I'm so thankful that we are in Wisconsin and not in Memphis where I probably would've waited hours to be seen at an ER. Our pediatrician had called ahead and as soon as we walked in they knew who we were and brought us back. We did a few tests to see what Sullivan's oxygen levels were as well as pulse and heart rate. The doctor then decided he wanted to do a chest x-ray to see how Sully's lungs looked. The x-rays were the saddest thing I've ever taken part in with Sullivan. The radiologist was so sweet and caring but we had to put Sully in awkward positions to get good pictures. It was so sad seeing this tiny little body on the huge table. Despite all of the testing and struggling to breath Sullivan smiled at every doctor and nurse. I enjoyed holding him on my chest in between each test. Holding him straight up against my chest really helped him breath as well. The doctor concluded that he has a viral infection, likely bronchitis. It was amazing how sweet every person was the we encountered, nurses, doctors and receptionists. We left the ER around 2am and tried to sleep but both Sullivan and Everett woke up at 4am. I took Sully back to his pediatrician in the morning for a follow up visit and they gave him some steroids to help with the breathing. I'm happy to report that he is 100% better today. It's amazing what a sweet disposition he kept throughout the whole ordeal, Tim always says you could hang Sullivan upside down by his toenails and he'd still be smiling. I don't know where the phrase comes from but it's the truth, he is one happy, easy-going little kid. Hopefully this is our last ER visit for a while but who knows with two boys and our daredevil little girl. Moments like these make me so appreciative of being able to stay home with my kids.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment